Artist of the Month: Ron Stephens
Special Event: Artist Wine & Cheese Reception For Ron Stevens
When: Saturday March 17th 2012 - 2 to 6pm
Featured Artist: Ron Stephens
Exhibit:"Both Sides of Ron Stephens"
Ron retired from a 33 year career in advertising in 2005 and began thinking about a retirement career. He began painting in watercolor in May 2006 after reading many books and taking a weekly watercolor course from Tom Wellman at the Irving Heritage Center. Since then, he has taken workshops from Nita Leland, Carl Dalio, Naomi Brotherton, Arne Westerman, Mark Mehaffey, Ratrindra Das, Jane Jones, Skip Lawrence, Leslie Frontz, Maureen Brouillette, and Andy Evansen.
Ron is editor of the Southwestern Watercolor Society SCENE newsletter, Publicity Chairman of Irving Art Association.
Ron likes to experiment and has recently started delving into acrylic. It's quality of texture adds another dimension not found in straight watercolor. It allows him to also play with different ways of applying the paint. That freedom creates a myriad of shapes, patterns and values that are different and exciting. He does not want to be put in a niche that would define a particular style. He feels that there is still many areas that need to be explored to stay creative.
Ron is an avid plein air painter. He likes the challenge of setting up, in usually less than ideal conditions, and painting the scene in front of him. Defining the scene in a sketch on the paper is somewhat easy, it's the ever changing lighting and weather conditions that is the challenge.
He had his first show in February of 2008 at the Jaycee Center for the Arts in Irving and has exhibited in various venues in the Irving area.
My inspiration comes from nature and the endless variety of its textures, shapes, values and colors. From the most complex to simple scenes, anything is possible as subject matter for a painting. I like the complexity of architecture and how it relates to its natural surroundings. I am still fascinated with the amazing qualities of straight watercolor. The feeling of the brush on paper and seeing it mix with other colors. The excitement of the outcome is exhilarating.
- 1st Place Irving Art Assn. Wildlife Show 2007
- Works accepted to IAA Texas & Neighbors show 2007, 08
- 1st Place, IAA Members Show 2009
- Accepted to 2009 and 2010 Southwestern Watercolor Society Member Exhibition.
- Accepted to the 2009 TVAA Open Exhibition.
- Honorable Mention at the 2010 Richardson Civic Arts Society, 50+ Exhibition 2010
- Accepted to the RCAS Regional Exhibition 2010
- 1st Place Watermedia, IAA Members Show 2010
- Accepted to the 125Mile Show for the Visual Arts Society of Texas, Denton 2010
- Accepted to the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies exhibition 2011
- Accepted to the Watercolor Arts Society Show of Houston exhibition 2011
- Honorable Mention at the IAA Members exhibition 2011
- Accepted to the IAA Texas & Neighbors Show 2011
- Accepted to the Texas Watercolor Society exhibition 2011
Please see website for additional originals at: Ron-Stephens.FineArtAmerica.com
Contact Ron Stephens at (972) 986-7133
Email to Ronstephens2342@verizon.net